By Mary Nyquist
Throughout, Nyquist demonstrates how rules in relation to political slavery and tyranny are certain up with a Roman jurisprudential doctrine that sanctions the facility of existence and demise held through the slaveholder over slaves and, by way of extension, the country, its representatives, or its legislation over its citizenry.
Read Online or Download Arbitrary Rule: Slavery, Tyranny, and the Power of Life and Death PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This quantity, including its spouse at the Eclogues and the formerly released quantity at the Aeneid, completes the assurance of Vergil's poetry in Oxford Readings in Classical reviews. It collects ten vintage papers at the Georgics written among 1970 and 1999 by means of best students from a number of diversified international locations.
Students of old literature have usually occupied with the works and lives of significant authors instead of on such questions as how those works have been produced and who learn them. In Roman Literary tradition, Elaine Fantham fills that void via interpreting the altering social and old context of literary creation in historical Rome and its empire.
Egil, the Viking Poet makes a speciality of one of many best-known Icelandic sagas, that of the extreme hero Egil Skallagrimsson. Descended from a lineage of trolls, shape-shifters, and warriors, Egil’s transformation from a precocious and murderous baby right into a raider, mercenary, litigant, landholder, and poet epitomizes the various elements of Viking legend.
The early glossy and smooth cultural international within the West will be unthinkable with no Petrarch and Boccaccio. regardless of this truth, there's nonetheless no scholarly contribution fullyyt dedicated to analysing their highbrow revolution. the world over popular students are invited to debate and reconsider the ancient, highbrow, and literary roles of Petrarch and Boccaccio among the nice version of Dante’s encyclopedia and the information of a double or multifaceted tradition within the period of Italian Renaissance Humanism.
- Literary Criticism from Plato to Postmodernism: The Humanistic Alternative
- Imagining Medieval English: Language Structures and Theories, 500–1500 (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- The Lily and the Thistle: The French Tradition and the Older Literature of Scotland
- Medieval Paradigms: Volume I: Essays in Honor of Jeremy duQuesnay Adams (The New Middle Ages)
- Mediävistische Kulturwissenschaft: Ausgewählte Studien (German Edition)
- Ovid and the Cultural Politics of Translation in Early Modern England (Studies in European Cultural Transition)
Additional resources for Arbitrary Rule: Slavery, Tyranny, and the Power of Life and Death