By Rory McTurk
- Comprises 29 chapters written through prime students within the field
- Reflects present debates between outdated Norse-Icelandic scholars
- Pays awareness to formerly overlooked parts of research, equivalent to the sagas of Icelandic bishops and the delusion sagas
- Looks on the methods previous Norse-Icelandic literature is utilized by sleek writers, artists and movie administrators, either inside of and out of doors Scandinavia
- Sets outdated Norse-Icelandic language and literature in its wider cultural context
Read Online or Download A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
This quantity, including its spouse at the Eclogues and the formerly released quantity at the Aeneid, completes the assurance of Vergil's poetry in Oxford Readings in Classical stories. It collects ten vintage papers at the Georgics written among 1970 and 1999 via best students from numerous diversified nations.
Students of historical literature have usually excited about the works and lives of significant authors instead of on such questions as how those works have been produced and who learn them. In Roman Literary tradition, Elaine Fantham fills that void via analyzing the altering social and ancient context of literary construction in old Rome and its empire.
Egil, the Viking Poet makes a speciality of one of many best-known Icelandic sagas, that of the intense hero Egil Skallagrimsson. Descended from a lineage of trolls, shape-shifters, and warriors, Egil’s transformation from a precocious and murderous baby right into a raider, mercenary, litigant, landholder, and poet epitomizes the numerous points of Viking legend.
The early glossy and smooth cultural global within the West will be unthinkable with out Petrarch and Boccaccio. regardless of this truth, there's nonetheless no scholarly contribution solely dedicated to analysing their highbrow revolution. the world over well known students are invited to debate and reconsider the old, highbrow, and literary roles of Petrarch and Boccaccio among the nice version of Dante’s encyclopedia and the guidelines of a double or multifaceted tradition within the period of Italian Renaissance Humanism.
- The Antiatticist: Introduction and Critical Edition (Sammlung griechischer und lateinischer Grammatiker)
- The Chanson d'Antioche: An Old French Account of the First Crusade (Crusade Texts in Translation)
- Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, Volume IV
- Empire and Memory: The Representation of the Roman Republic in Imperial Culture (Roman Literature and its Contexts)
- German Philhellenism: The Pathos of the Historical Imagination from Winckelmann to Goethe
- Tragedy in Ovid
Extra resources for A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)